Sunday, March 10, 2013

Signs of Spring

One of my favorite things about living in DC, is that Spring comes early. Being from the New England coast, March is often the cruelest month, as hopeful crocuses and daffodils are often pummeled by snow and bitter winds. We would stay well bundled up though March there, so over wearing sweaters and tights and boots. But here in DC, March days brings the first 60 degree days, budding trees that will soon make DC pink and white, and, thanks to the hour of sleep we lost on Sunday, daylight that stretches into the evening, and we're all out, with less layers, enjoying our early Spring.

But alas, with the warmer temperatures, comes the onslaught of the abundance of crimes against fashion. Already, with just the few nice days we've had, our streets are spotted with articles of shoes and clothing that should just never be worn together. There are 2 types of shoes with which I cannot stand to see on the downtown streets of the city as I walk to work each morning, Tom's and flip-flops.

1. Tom's Shoes to Work. No.


Let me begin by saying, I love Tom's Shoes. The philanthropic objective is admirable, and the product is a fun and comfortable shoe. BUT and this is a big but, when worn with the appropriate everything else. Like here...



And here, if you need celebrity inspiration...



Shorts + Tom's = perfect

Jeans + Tom's = great

**Leggings + Tom's = ok

**Leggings are not pants ** (that's going to get a post of its own, obv.)

Skirts + Tom's = More complicated.

Fun when done casually, like a t shirt and a short flirty skirt and Tom's can be perfect running around the city on the weekend, brunching, walking, biking. But Tom's with a pencil skirt, or other more business cut attire, well, that actually makes me angry, in a fashion anger kind of way. It is just wrong on every level - it makes an otherwise sharp look, which you need to kick ass during the day, look frumpy, unorganized, and absolutely not professional. It is the paradox of the Tom's. Can be fabulous, can be a disaster. And too many women I see in DC are undermining themselves in this crime against fashion.

Which leads me to my near absolute no-no with Tom's.

Dresses + Tom's = Ugh.

Pretty much unless you're Keira Knightley, and really not even her. Better shoes for that dress are right next to her, which makes me think she was at a Tom's event, but whatever. Liv Tyler's outfit works, but it is specifically casual, that's not a professional work look obviously, so the fun casual Tom's appropriate spirit is happening there. Point is that a dress has a zillion other much prettier options. Like these...

















Pointy flats are back! Ladies, this is news! To me, they are the perfect city shoe, as they are flats that you can wear all day, but like their sister the pointy heel, they make you look skinnier and taller! Shoe nirvana!

Why they had pretty much evaporated from the market for the last 4 years, I have no idea, but I am rejoicing that I can FINALLY replace my favorite matte gold pointy toe flats. Those shoes have been to the cobbler every spring for the last 3 years for a tune-up as I would once again not find anything to replace them. Currently lusting over the options...

I know pointy toes scare some, but I promise you, try them and you have have the love I do of them. I always put some lambswool in the toe (available at CVS for less than $5 for a bag with the foot stuff) and of course, Dr. Scholl inserts. Flats so often just have no support, even the more expensive ones, so these ensure you have arch support and cushioning - really important if you walk a lot, but something everyone should consider. I am still stunned that there are a lot of ladies walking around in shoes that aren't comfortable. Super unnecessary and silly! These are my go-to's that work in all of your shoes, not just your flats. There are ones for guys too, they need the support, too! I've tried the CVS brand, and they're a few dollars less, but they just aren't as comfortable and they definitely get worn out more quickly.




So that's my Tom's rant. Spread the word ok? No Tom's during the workday. No Tom's in offices where suits and dresses are happening, ever. Thank you.

2. Flip flops

Just. No.

So everyone will read this and I won't see this on my walk to work anymore, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment